Pages

Thursday, 2 January 2014

Felicity, The Rainbow Sheep

Hi everyone! I'd like to spend this post introducing myself. I'm Felicity, the eldest Elvis daughter. I'm 26 years and 10 months old. I'm married to a wonderful man named Graham, and we live a very long way away from the rest of the Elvis clan, on the west side of Australia, in Perth.

When I was thinking about this blog, and the people who make up its contributors, I started wondering how I fit into it. Sure, I'm an Elvis by birth, but in many ways I am the odd one in my family. The more I thought about it, the more differences I found. So I'm going to write about why I am different to my mother and sisters - and why, in the end, that doesn't make any difference to our love at all.

So, the first thing you would notice if you were to meet my family and I in the flesh is what we look like. And I would stick out like an ostrich in a chicken coop. Not that I'm tall - far from it! It's simply that I am in many ways the exact opposite of my sisters and mother. Where they have gorgeous natural hair, my hair is bleached and rainbow dyed. Where they allow their natural beauty to shine through, I mess around with cosmetics and hair products. Where they wear pastel clothes in gentle flowing lines, I wear bright striking colours and ridiculous jewellery. And where they are slim and lithe, I am decidedly... not.

Yes, I am the Elvis daughter with the weight problem. And I've always been sensitive about it. I remember not wanting to accept help with exercise offered by my mum when I was younger simply because I was so upset with looking different. I would rather have ignored my issues than face them because the truth that I looked different to my gorgeous slim mum hurt so much. Anyway, I'm definitely the largest daughter, and it's only been exacerbated by my choices in life. Where my mum and sisters are fit, keen runners, you would only see me running if there was a bushfire behind me and an icecream ahead. I'm a plodder, not a jogger!




So far, I suppose I am the most adventurous daughter. I left home at eighteen to join a convent of contemplative nuns. When that didn't work out, I ventured further abroad to Perth to mentor teenagers. When that job finished, I returned to Perth... where I met my future husband, and in 2011 I became the first Elvis daughter to marry. This is not to say my sisters are falling behind! I am 7 years older than my next sister, Imogen, and 17 years older than my youngest sister, Gemma-Rose. They have plenty of time! But in the mean-time, it's a difference in life.

I think I am the low-brow sister. Let me explain that. I think, that while my family and I share the same enjoyment of music, of singing, of writing and creating and reading, I tend to enjoy slightly lower-brow, easier stuff. Where my sisters will happily tackle Shakespeare, I might curl up with a fantasy or science fiction novel. Where they sing like angels with a choir, I will stretch my vocal chords at the local pub on karaoke night. And where my sisters write and edit full novels, just for fun, I can just about manage the odd blog post!

Sometimes I think I might be a little envious of my younger sisters. I don't see very much of them, but what is reflected in their and my mum's writing is four beautiful, stable, happy young women. I see a lot of my mum reflected in them, and because that is my ideal of a woman, I can feel a little disappointed in myself for seeming to be so different. But even though I might look different, have different pursuits, live in a different place and have a different past - there will always be some things I hold in common with the rest of my family.

We hold together the same values our mum taught us - to be faithful, kind, eager to learn, create and share. To be strong women who do things whole heartedly. Most importantly, to be loving. And as I am just starting in my own little adventure of a family with my husband, the lessons and love of my family will only be more strongly appreciated.

I might not be quite the same as my family, but I hope we share what counts - and of course, what counts is love.




This is what I look like! These recent photos are taken from a nice close angle, so you can see my hair, but not my tummy ;)


21 comments :

  1. What a beautiful post to get this blog rolling, nice to meet you Felicity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen you posts on my mum's blogs, so it feels like I have seen a little of you. It's lovely to meet you too! Hopefully we can share lots of lovely stories together here!

      Delete
  2. Awesome post Felicity; you write so honestly and sincerely. Coco Chanel apparently once said "In order to be irreplacable, one must always be different" ... so you must not think of yourself as different but irreplacable. I am quite confident that is how your family thinks of you too.

    I look forward to your next post and how I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your rainbow hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My hair is a little unconventional, but I feel it suits me as I am at the moment. That is such a great thought from Coco Chanel! I shall remember it! It certainly beats the only prior quote of hers I knew, which was: "Before leaving the house, stop, and remove 17 pieces of jewellery"! Good advice, but not quite as inspirational as your kind words :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent! Raw and beautiful.

    Never judge a book by it's cover sounds cliche, but I've had to learn it the hard way and I thank God for that. My eldest son is also "seemingly" different. He is almost covered in tattoos, with stretched earlobes and he is still searching and struggling for a purpose in the world ~ to be comfortable in his own skin. This I know, and that is that he has a heart and a soul. He is kind and wise. Sometimes, he acts tough, but I know why. I rest in the fact that one of his tattoos is of The Blessed Mother. I know that she will eventually lead him fully home ~ just like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I am sure your eldest son is just as wonderful as any other more "conventional" looking person. I always think that tattoos can have some wonderful stories behind them. I don't have any myself (and I do wonder what my mum would say if I came out sporting one!) but talking to some of my friends, I have realised that most tattoos are stories in picture form, showing struggles, attitudes, thoughts and symbols.

      It's so lovely to know, and I'm sure he knows too, that he is loved just as he is, with no difference, no matter what he acts or looks like by his mum!

      Delete
  4. Felicity, I am so pleased you will be writing here too!

    Your post brought tears to my eyes - thank you for your honesty, I think I could learn a few things from you when it comes to my own blog.

    I too am the eldest (though I only grew up with two siblings - I also have five half siblings, two of whom I've never met) and like you I've often felt the odd one out in my family. I wonder if one's twenties are a necessary time of breaking away and forming our own identities? It will be interesting to see how your younger sisters' lives unfold. Being the oldest can be tough, though perhaps it also brings more opportunities for blazing our own trail?

    Hurray for an Elvis girl with rainbow hair who loves two of my favourite things - sci fi and karaoke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased I have been invited here too! I actually feel as if I "broke away" from my family between the ages of 18-23, when I was at the convent, and then finding my way in Perth. This last few years, I've actually been coming home far more in spirit, as I appreciate more and more how good my family truly is. I think I had to go away to really understand how good my family is, if that makes sense.

      It's something interesting to think about, and I may just explore it a bit further in a future post.

      It's so good to meet someone with shared interests, isn't it! I am particularly enjoying cyberpunk sci fi at the moment, especially the predictive books of William Gibson, and I find karaoke to be very interesting, as I have a very high voice, and some unusual taste in music. My current favourite songs are anything by Florence and the Machine, and "Skinny Love" by Birdy!

      Delete
    2. "I think I had to go away to really understand how good my family is" - that makes perfect sense. I did something similar.

      Gosh it must be lovely to be able to sing along to Skinny Love! I'm afraid I have a a much more limited vocal range and have to have a strong melody line to follow. Doesn't stop me having fun, though!

      Delete
  5. From another eldest daughter, I like your writing a lot. And your incredible hair! Which I would never do myself, but realize it is something fun & creative to do...my 16yo daughter is in beauty school, and LOVES cosmetics, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I try to have fun with my appearance. I'm never going to be a super-model, but I can still like what I see in the mirror. If I feel more "me" with some wild hair, why not?!

      Thank you so much for the kind comments on my writing. I have been a bit slack lately in writing, but hopefully this will spur me on to write far more!

      Delete
  6. So nice to "meet" you! You remind me a bit of myself as a younger woman and a bit of my oldest son. I was very into alternative dress and I almost joined a convent in my early 20s. My eldest son has been very adventurous in finding his way and we all appreciate each other in a deeper way. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear from you as well! I guess I'm still in that part of life where I am finding my identity and place in the world. It's good to share some of the things I have realised with everyone, and its even better to know I am not the sole person who has had adventures with the convent!

      Delete
  7. Fliq, You remind me so much of my daughter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bernice! I am glad I remind you of someone you love! I am so grateful you enjoyed my sharing, and I wish the best to you and your (most definitely) gorgeous daughter!

      Delete
  8. I am SO glad to meet you - thank you for your wonderful introduction! Your beautiful personality just shines right through. I look forward to reading more from you :) !

    ReplyDelete
  9. And a PS from me. I LOVE PERTH!! I'm in the US, but was in WA some years go visiting friends who lived in the Cape Naturaliste area... breathtakingly gorgeous, and Perth is such a lovely "sparkling" (!) city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to meet you, Nancy! I love WA too. It is just young, and clean, and bright and, at least for me, has this air of enthusiasm and hope. Of course, the fact I met my husband there doesn't at all bias me!

      Now, if I could just shuffle Australia's geography so that my mum's beloved Southern Highlands was around half an hour's drive from my area of Perth, life would be perfect!

      Delete
  10. First of all, great post!

    Second of all... I don't know if you still have your hair like this, but I am IMPRESSED!! I have had many colors in my hair (not AS many), but it is so hard to keep up!

    It is very pretty though. When my kids ask my favorite color I said it is "rainbow". Then they tell me to "just pick one!" But I LOVE colors!! When they persist, I say, "Ok, well, then if I have to pick one...then I guess it'd be black". Then they inform me that black is not a color. *sigh*

    Hope all is well with you <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. And to whomever picked the title of this post??

    I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,

      Just in case Felicity doesn't see your comments for a while, I'll just say, "Thank you!" Your children's words about black not being a colour made me smile. That's the kind of thing my girls say!

      Delete