Pages

Monday, 6 January 2014

Imogen Elvis: Jane Austen's Eighth Heroine

Jane Austen's eighth heroine


It’s taken me a week to think of how to introduce myself. First impressions are so important. I don't want to be mistaken for a Mr Darcy, proud and disagreeable. I’d rather be like one of Jane Austen’s heroines. Could I possibly introduce myself as Elizabeth Bennet? We’re close to the same age and have the same amount of sisters. But I’m not elegant enough. I’d rather build sandcastles than sit at a polite tea party or trim a new bonnet.

Could I be Elinor Dashwood then, responsible and sensible? I’m afraid not. I don’t think that the state of near constant laughter I live in is particularly sensible and I have yet to deny us beef out of economy. I might be closer to her sister Marianne. We both sprained our ankles, and we love singing and playing the piano. But I’m not as romantically minded as she is and not so fond of Shakespeare’s sonnets either.

Am I Catherine Morland? We share a passion for reading. I think the length of her reading list might almost rival mine. And certainly we have the same overactive imagination. But my reading pile has more adventures, spaceships, and dragons in it than gothic romances. And I prefer to keep my imagination safely locked away inside a novel where it can speed along my plot and build my characters.

Perhaps I could be Emma Woodhouse the handsome, clever and rich. Well, I won’t make the judgement on the handsome and clever part, but I’m certainly not rich. I’m not particularly interested in meddling with people’s love lives either. I’d rather stay home with my family and books.

Could I be Anne Elliot maybe? But she’s so patient, and I’m not always. Does that leave me as Fanny Price then? But she’s so meek and quiet and retiring. And I like to talk and have fun when I do see people. I like to perform and get involved with fun other people are having. No, I don’t think I could be her either.


I don’t think that I am enough like any of these lovely, elegant ladies with their long dresses, their balls and their beautiful manners to be able to pass myself off as any of them. So, I shall introduce myself to you as Jane Austen’s lesser known eighth heroine. Presenting Miss Imogen Elvis.

13 comments :

  1. Amazing! I love this Imogen. I adore Jane Austen and you have made me laugh, Jane's Austen lesser known heroine!
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S Hope you don't mind of followed the blog!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Steph! I'm glad you enjoyed our blog enough to follow it. I had a good giggle over this myself. I love all things Jane Austen too, so this seemed like a good way to introduce myself.

      Delete
  2. I am so pleased to make your acquaintance, Miss Elvis. I can just picture you penning flowing prose with a quill dipped from time to time into a glass-with-silver inkwell. Thank you for directing some of your words into the pages of this blog. I shall look forward to your lovely missives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Nancy. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance also. I shall have to learn to write beautifully with a quill pen I think. That seems like a very ladylike occupation to me.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful introduction, Imogen!

    We have just been watching Death in Pemberley - the BBC adaptation of P.D. James' Pride and Prejudice "sequel" - which has reawakened my interest in Jane Austen. I can't think of a nicer way to have my memory of all her heroines refreshed than by reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lucinda. I refreshed my own memory with writing this one. I'm well acquainted with most of her heroines except for Emma and Fanny. That sounds like a very interesting adaptation. We shall have to look Death in Pemberley up. Have you been in enjoying it?

      Delete
    2. Yes I enjoyed it very much. I think you will too. It was on for the first time here in the UK over Christmas so I'm not sure when it will be released elsewhere, but do look out for it. it was exciting enough that my husband enjoyed it as much as I did!

      Delete
    3. Well, we'll keep our eyes open and wait for it to be released in Australia, maybe later this year. The BBC are very good at adaptations. It's always very exciting when men enjoy period dramas, isn't it? My dad surprised us by really enjoying Charles Dicken's 'Little Dorrit'. We were very excited when he liked it.

      Delete
  4. Imogen, I think you are fine just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex. I'm sure I have some heroine material hidden away in there somewhere, even if I don't have complete patience and the elegance for tea parties.

      Delete
  5. Pleased to make your acquaintance Miss Elvis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a pleasure to meet you too.

      Delete