Pages

Friday, 4 April 2014

Word Sprinting!


It's April. That means it's Camp NaNoWriMo month. That means the girls are busy writing novels. 

"Does anyone want to have a word sprint?" Imogen asks.

All the girls do, so they grab their computers and meet in the living room. 

"Ready?" asks Imogen. Her sisters nod. She sets the timer for 10 minutes. The sprint is on! How many words can each girl write in 10 minutes?

The timer dings! The sprint is over! Everyone shares their word count.

"Wow! You did well!"

"Anyone want to sprint again?"

The timer is reset. Another sprint is on!





Look at that lazy cat!




Look at those flying fingers!


Look at that beautiful sunshine coming through the window!




If you're writing a novel and your word count isn't mounting very quickly, why don't you find a writing partner and have a word sprint. You can even do it online!


6 comments :

  1. I am SO jealous!
    Sounds like so much fun! I wish I had someone to do it with, I don't know anyone with an interest in writing.
    -Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose,

      Imogen has word sprints with her friends on Facebook. I wonder if you could do that with someone who enjoys writing. I have never had a word sprint but the girls looked like they were having lots of fun!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great way to motivate unwilling writers. Do you subtract anything for typos? And add a bonus for age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uglemor,

      I don't get to see the writing. One day when the girls are satisfied with their novels they might share them. Sometimes the younger ones like to read out their latest chapters to me. We don't worry about spelling in the first draft stage. I am sure there are lots of typos because fingers are trying to move as quickly as possible!

      In a word sprint each writer is trying to beat her own word count and not someone else's. But when two writers compete against each other it's called a word war. They girls are only sprinting and not warring because Imogen would win a war ever time, and that would be very depressing for the younger girls!

      Delete
  3. My girls just asked me to come up with new activities for our writing group. I am going to use this. Do you have any other activities like this that your girls use when writing in a group that you would consider sharing? I'll report back how it went with my group Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you can use this idea! The girls tell me that music is an essential ingredient when writing. They like to listen to something like The Piano Guys together. Good writing music! They make themselves comfortable too. No writing at desks. They talk about what they're writing and share ideas. If anyone is stuck then they brainstorm solutions.Sometimes they challenge each other to add a ridiculous scene into the story. They have used random storyline generators too. They keep notebooks for writing down their ideas. They also draw their characters or draw each other's. They've also worked on joint novels where they take turns writing the chapters. This takes a lot of organisation and discussion, and can fall apart if someone is slow writing their bit.

      I will ask Imogen for any additional ideas. She belongs to a number of writing groups.

      I guess the main thing is to have fun! I'd love to hear about your Friday group. I hope your girls enjoy their writing!

      Delete