Pages

Thursday, 17 July 2014

The Distant Sister

I left home when my sister Gemma-Rose was still a little baby. I never really came home to enjoy seeing her and all my siblings grow up. I visited, and every time they were a bit bigger, a bit more mature... and a bit more used to the fact that I would leave them again.

Every time, I would leave them sadly, but knowing that I couldn't go back. I had to spread my wings in the world. After my time in the convent, I wasn't the same. I would never fit in my family as well as I did when I was a child. I was growing into an adult, and for me, that meant supporting myself alone.

And I think I did an ok job of it. I lived alone, and then with my husband and his parents. I found my way into another family who accepted me. But I never forgot my own family. I lived a long way from them - a whole country's length away. But they were always in my heart, even if I couldn't visit as often as I'd like.

I used to be able to visit every year. However, money became very tight after my wedding. It's 2014, and I haven't seen my family since my wedding in 2011. That's three years! I see photos of my little sisters now - they are so tall! And I hear stories about them, and I read their own accounts of their lives, as well as chatting to them on the phone - and they have grown up so much.

I am so proud of them. They are beautiful young women, and they seem so grounded and happy. But there is a sadness in my heart everytime I think of them, too. Do they ever think of me? Am I relevant to their lives at all? Or am I too far away, too distant to be more than an interesting relative who appears out of the blue every so often, only to be whisked away by plane in a week's time?

In my mind, a good big sister would be close to their siblings, close enough to talk about all sorts of things. Maybe she would treat them to exciting new experiences, show them what it is like being a young adult. She might have a slightly different perspective on life to their parents, and be able to discuss that with them.

A good big sister would be able to be more than a fleeting week of interaction here and there. She could be a friend and confidante. She would definitely be more than what I provide, in my mind anyway.

And so I feel guilt when I talk to my sisters. I have high expectations of what I should be able to give them, and don't. Do my sisters feel the same way? I don't know. Maybe they gave up on me a long time ago. 

To my sisters: I am not a good big sister. I don't give you the attention you deserve. But please don't forget me! I miss you so much. I try all the time to save the money to come visit again, even though it is hard. And one day, maybe we'll be able to get to know each other again, and catch up on the time I was far away from you.

I love you, my beautiful sisters. I can't wait for the next time I can come visit. Until then, remember me!


6 comments :

  1. I used to live in South Africa, and my baby sister moved to Australia about 4 years before we did, and then my parents moved about a year after she did. It was probably the most depressing time of my life. At that stage my husband had no intentions of moving here. I went through the stage of thinking that I would never see them again, as we were definitely not in any financial position for me to visit. I used to sit in the bathroom and cry my eyes out every single day of the opportunities that were being missed out of me being a good aunt ect. Happy ending, we ended up in Perth,and we probably don't spend as much time together as we should, but I still think about her everyday. I could almost guarantee you that not only do they think of you but your name probably pops up in conversation on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name pops up often? That's a great thought! I am so glad you had a happy ending and made it back to Australia with your family. It might take time, but it happened! I just need to keep a hold on that hope too and things will hopefully work themselves out for me too!

      Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I miss you! I hope can come home soon.
    Sorry I didn't comment sooner, but we are all sick and I have pneumonia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too, Sophie! Oh dear, pneumonia? That really sucks. Take very good care of yourself, because that is one of the most depressing, yucky illnesses I can imagine! I have some gifts coming for you - I hope you'll like them when they arrive! I love you!

      Delete
  3. We love it when you call and when you're able to come and visit us. It's sad of course that we only get to see once in a while but hopefully you are able to come and visit us again soon. Maybe someday we'll come and visit you in Perth! Love you, Felicity

    ReplyDelete